I was just blown away last night on our daily dinner-food shopping trip to the grocery store. I have always been fascinated by how small this world can feel, running into people (especially from hockey) all over the country when I've met them somewhere totally different. But this last week has been quite a testament to that fact.
To start, last weekend while working my regular hockey games I managed to have a midget team (that's high-school-aged, not small people) from San Diego. As I was skating over to the time keeper's box during warm-ups, I glanced over and noticed that one coach looked extremely familiar. When he turned to face me I saw that, sure enough, it was my old coach from the Rochester Edge, a team I'd played for my freshman year at college. I knew he was here in SoCal, and coaching in San Diego, but I hadn't expected to run into him, and especially not in Anaheim. This was certainly a nice surprise, and I enjoyed catching up a little bit.
Now, like I said, I'm getting fairly used to the hockey community feeling very small, and running into familiar faces in unexpected places. However, when Ant and I were doing our daily grocery shopping last night, I saw yet another extremely familiar face. At first I thought I was making an obscure connection to some movie star, but when he made eye contact and gave the same "I think I know you" look, the cogs really started working in my brain. Eventually I did place him, and the woman he was with... They were our Tango instructors at RIT this last spring. I couldn't believe it! What were THEY doing in Aliso Viejo?! Well, it turns out they've just recently relocated (a week ago) to the area for a job transfer. The coincidence just blew my mind, and I'm wondering how often we'll run into them on an evening shopping run.
So, that's my story of the morning. Just remember, you really never know when and where you'll run into someone again.
No comments:
Post a Comment