Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's A Great Day For Hockey

Well, this last weekend was included Presidents' Day, so that meant a trip to DC for the JWHL Challenge Cup! Although we had a much smaller crew of imports (female officials from around the country), it was still everything you'd ever expect of the Challenge Cup.

It was great to see some old friends again, and we all had a lot to be excited about and celebrate. I got to show of my sparkly, Susan was enjoying her last weekend of hockey this season since she's now completed her first trimester of her first pregnancy, Jess just got her first Nationals invitation, and Charli is still kickin it with her awesome magazine (if you don't know about it, check it out - it's the first hockey magazines just for girls! Ice Magazine).

With everything going on, though, I think the most exciting part of this years' tournament was getting to watch the opening of the 2010 Winter Olympics with the best group of sports enthusiasts I could ask for. We all know the three American female officials (Leah Wrazidlo (refing), Megan Hishmeh and Kelly O'Brien (both working lines)), and Susan and I both went to camp with two other international officials representing Germany and Japan. On top of that, one of the men's linesmen representing the US (Pete Fiola) is from my area in New York, and I worked some similar circles with him while doing college hockey up there. So it was incredible getting to turn on hockey games and hear some familiar names on the officiating side of the game!

Of course every night before bed involved watching whatever games were on TV, be it skiing (I watched two Americans and a Canadian win women's moguls, and Canada winning their first gold on home soil with men's moguls), a handful of luge runs, or the opening ceremonies themselves. I have to say, the older I get, the more clear and exciting the Olympics really become. I look forward to knowing many more women who I count as friends putting on strips in front of the entire world at the premier demonstration of on-ice skill we know!

As far as the actual tournament in DC went, the officiating was well-received, and we all enjoyed the elite level of play and coaching. I returned home with a record (low) number of bruises and injuries, which of course made me appreciate the skill and awareness of these girls all the more. And despite all the insane weather happening in the DC area (airports were closed all week up until Thursday morning/afternoon), all the teams arrived safely on Thurs night and were ready to play on Friday. All I can say is, it's a great day for hockey, and after a long and tiresome season in a new district, I really feel my motivation for the game refreshed as we head into the end-season tournaments. I look forward to an exciting wrap-up of this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment