Monday, May 24, 2010

Major Life Changes

It's pretty much accepted that the time after graduating college is pretty much guaranteed to be full of big life changes. What I'd never really considered, though, is how much the life changes of those around me whom I'm close to and care greatly for can be almost as effective as my own personal adjustments (or am I just displaying my emotional hypersensitivity here?). Well, this last year and the one ahead (and I'm sure a few more even beyond that) are very much filled with change. Exciting changes, to be sure, but some scary ones, as well.

Just last weekend, my big brother took vows to love and cherish an incredible young woman for the rest of his life, and took her into his home, quite a distance from her family, friends, and everything familiar, promising to love and care for her there. I was so happy to be able to take 5 days and spend it with our combined families, enjoying an extended celebration with them in Nebraska. But it really is incredible to see how much change really takes place from an outside, yet still very close, perspective. I've grown very close to his wife over the past year (I met her a year ago now, almost to the day), and even closer to him over the last several months as well (we'll chalk that one up to both of our growing maturity and the realization of 'the real world' as we both left school). I've had the great pleasure of designing both the invitations and the programs for their wedding, so I've had ample opportunity to hear from both of them about the whole planning process and big deal of getting married. And, can you believe it, now that their wedding is over, it's time to actually buckle down and start planning my own. But that significant change in their lives feels like it's had a large impact on my own life, too, whether that's realistic or not.

But speaking of major changes in my own life, I've now been in California for almost a year (about 10 months I think), and it's already time to move. A little unexpected, but Anthony's had a great opportunity to change jobs to one that matches his interests even better than his last - he's now working for SpaceX, an independently funded space launch company that looks to be the real future of American space exploration. It's an incredibly exciting change, but requires about an hour and a half commute each direction for him from our current location in southern Orange County, so we're looking at moving a little closer to LA. It won't be a fast move; we're taking our time looking for places in Seal Beach, and can stay in our current place on month to month rates until we find one after our current lease expires in July. But, it's yet another change in life, and another place to get used to.

I'm incredibly excited to be heading up to Seal (and I do hope that location follows through), with its very small-town atmosphere, perfect beach location, and walk-everywhere downtown attitude. They also have a great number of beautiful art galleries that I'm excited to visit and keep an eye on, and Ant is thrilled about many mom-and-pop shops and cafes, as well as a very traditional Italian shop for some more unique food options. And most of the places we've been looking at are gorgeous, and usually in quaint little buildings/old houses. They are a little more on the expensive side, but both of us seem to agree that if we're not staying in California forever (which we're not), we might as well live a 'true California life' while we're here. I really think it'll be worth it to stay in a nice place with a nice location, especially as my business ramps up and brings us to a two-income household.

Speaking of business, that has been going rather well for me, too. Better than should probably be expected for a one year out of school, just starting a new business graduate. I've been thrilled that my greatest problems lately have been managing my time (and stress) for having too many projects at a time. It's not quite at the point I'd like as far as regular financial income, but it's getting very close, and I just need to buckle down and figure out how to streamline my processes to make the business more efficient. And, while we're speaking of news, I'm looking at officially registering the business very soon. I'm thinking to call it Grape Seed Designs. What do you think? I'll have to write more about the origination of the name later, but I like that it works well for both graphic design, but can also carry over to include handmade books and other items if I ever find the time to expand into that as well. Phew... think I've got enough going on right now?

Oh, right, that's not all. I'm also seriously considering getting certified as an instructor for therapeutic riding. As many of you know (and many others I'm sure don't), I've volunteered at therapeutic (horseback) riding centers all over the country, starting in CO, continuing during college in NY, and now again here in CA. There is the potential for me to pick up some part time hours working there starting this fall, basically coordinating volunteers and prepping horses for lessons (a job which I interview for this week, by the way), and it was suggested to me that I may be interested in pursuing instructor training, as well. The thought really piqued my interest, and so I've been seriously looking into it. I'm not looking for a career change, but I would love to get a little more deeply involved in the therapy process, have a more complete understanding of it, and maybe be able to work as a substitute instructor when others need some time off.

So, I think that's the bulk of my recent exciting news. At this point, it's just a lot of going with the flow and applying myself with drive and dedication in everything I do. But then again, I'd say that's kind of just who I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment