I haven't been to see many movies lately, but I finally got out to see The Informant! this last weekend. And all I have to say is,
Don't. Waste. Your money.
I know this movie has been getting pretty good reviews, but I don't understand how. It has nothing going for it. There is no action, no solvable mystery, and no comedy of any substance. I believe any good movie has to have some kind of intelligent stimulation, whether that's witty comedy, something to fight for or against, or a mystery to be solved. I can even get on the bandwagon for some major action-only movies. But I couldn't even stay awake for this one, and that's a first for me. It's not even me not liking "subtle humor" films. That may not be my favorite genre, but I can appreciate subtle humor, and that's not what this movie has. There was simply no wit to it at all.
You might compare The Informant! overall to Catch Me If You Can, except instead of some incredible mastermind genius who's always one step ahead, it's some brainless pathological liar blundering his way through stealing millions (you don't even know in the end how much he winds up with. Is it 9 or 11 million?). Sure there are "plot twists," but they develop through yet another blundering lie rather than some crafty solution. There's no plan, no direction, no driven development. I guess that's the major issue I have with the film.
Anyway, if you MUST see this movie, just wait til you can see it for about $2. It's just not worth the cost to see in the theaters.
No comments:
Post a Comment