I drove up to Culver City today to meet with an old college friend. He was nice enough to take me out to brunch, and then we headed over to Venice Beach again. He'd mentioned to me that he's picked up roller blading as of about a month ago, so I'd brought my skates up and we figured we'd find a place to explore. Turns out Venice Beach really is a great place to skate.
We parked a short distance from the beach near his friends' apartment and just skated to the beach. They have a beautiful bike road along the beach (separate from the pedestrian walk lined with shops), and it worked very well for us. We weren't really sure if we should be following the bike or pedestrian path, but I think we chose well. In the end, we passed most bikes that were on the pathway, anyway. We actually skated all the way up to Santa Monica Pier where they even have a ferris wheel and roller coaster. Certainly another great place to check out with Ant.
Just on the other side of the pier, we came across a large section of sand filled with white crosses (on closer inspection, there were also a number of red and blue ones, as well). It looked like a cemetery in the middle of the beach, so we decided to explore. I guess it was some Iraq war tribute. We didn't stay there terribly long, and decided to head back toward the car, and to maybe explore a bit in the other direction. Apparently, bikes, blades, and boards weren't allowed any farther than our starting point, so we headed back to the car and on to my first introduction to Boba Tea. It was pretty tasty, though I didn't care for the boba, but I would certainly go back for the milk teas.
All in all, it made for a fairly tiring, though thoroughly enjoyable day. We skated about 8 miles in the end, and the commute up there was about an hour each way, so I think I'm just going to relax at the apartment for the rest of the night. It was very nice to get out again, and I'm looking forward to exploring the neighborhoods down here by blades over this next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment